Sunday, January 24, 2010

Nick Cave, Haiti, and the Age of Weeping


"Father why are all the children weeping?

They are merely crying son.
O, are they merely crying father?
Yes, true weeping is yet to come."

-Nick Cave, The Weeping Song




I wouldn't categorize myself as someone who lacked empathy in my youth, but I wasn't really moved by abstract disasters - I pretty much had to see something for it to affect me.

Then, I had kids.  Now, I seem to be extremely sensitive to certain things.  I teared up the other day when NPR was playing MKL's "I have a dream" speech.  Certain "Law and Order" episodes drive me from the room.  And, lately, I can't bear to watch the disaster footage from Haiti.

I first heard "The Weeping Song" while  a freshman at Purdue.  I was newly turned on to Nick Cave after hearing and seeing him in Wim Wender's "Wings of Desire".  I remember thinking what a cool abstraction it was; the difference between crying and weeping.

I don't think I really know the difference yet, having had such a fortunate life, but my imagination can now take me there...

No comments:

Post a Comment