Saturday, March 19, 2016

Don't be intimidated

Often, I will mock my own (lack of) drawing abilities by telling my students "Don't worry  - I will not expect you to be able to draw such a nice picture as I did on the test.  I understand that you all can not have the same artistic sensibilities as I!"

The other day, after making the joke for fourth or fifth time in the same class, I then interjected some of the metacognitive stuff that goes through my head when I have these moments and I admitted to the class "You know, I get a special thrill when I say these crazy things and I can identify that one student who has a doubt and is asking him- or her-self "I wonder if he actually thinks he is good at drawing?"  That moment of confusion gives me great joy.

By the way - that's a picture of  car demonstrating conservation of angular momentum as you take off from a stop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment