Sunday, February 12, 2017

Hiding in plain sight for over 40 years...

I love it when a word surprises me.  Some old word I've gotten used to just ups and throws me a little surprise party: "Look at me anew -I've had this clue hidden in me all along."  The last time I remember this happening was with my thought that December should be the 10th month ('dec'!)

This morning I read that that the word quarantine comes from holding ships suspected of carrying the plague from docking for 40 days back in the middle ages.  I've used this word by entire life and I've known that the french word for 40 (quarante) as well but never made the connection simply because in english we pronounce it "kworanteen" and in french it is "kharante".  Of course, the reason they picked 40 back then is because the Bible has plenty of examples of 40 days being the go-to number for trials and probation.

I could feel dumb, but instead I feel delighted.  Thanks for the coming-out party, my old friend 'quarantine'!

No comments:

Post a Comment