Saturday, May 21, 2011

What's in a Name?


Ken = Kenny = Kenneth

BUT

At work recently, people thought it was funny that I was referred to as "Kenneth" in a widely circulated document.  They all know me as "Ken".  But I am, of course, both; here is the evolution of my name:

0-12 years old :"Kenny"
13  years   old: "Kenneth" (thought it made me sound older)
14-26 years old: "Ken" (seemed easier & less formal)
27-28 years old: "Kenneth" (there was already a "Kent" at that job who went by "Ken" and I was ready for a change)
29-?? years old: "Ken" (except for some french relatives to whom I will always be "Kenny" and two children who call me "Daddy") (Also, in 2006, I start work at WHS and my department chair goes by Ken so I offer to go by Kenneth once again, thus many of my school documents have me as "Kenneth" - however "Ken" sticks)

A lady down the street asked me what the kids' names are.  When I reply "Isabelle and Sebastien", she says "Oh, fancy names!"

In fact, when we were choosing names, having many possible diminutives was a major factor:

Isabelle: "Izzy", "Belle","Izzybellybooboo"
Sebastien: "Seb", "Sebby", "Bastien", "Bas", "C-BAS" (my personal fav), "Chongers"

Wait a sec!  "Chongers"?  Huh?

Sebastien's middle name is Wen Chiang so Chinese people will call him "Chiang Chiang", which I apparently can not say correctly.  While he was still an infant, everyone was making fun of my pronunciation: "It's not CHONG, Ken!"

So I exaggerated my mispronunciation in a mature, noncontrarian way and took it to "Chongers" (I told Irene it would one day be his frat boy name).  The day I knew it was sticking was when I heard my mother-in-law call him Chongers.

2 comments:

  1. Uh, doesn't the slash in the "not equals" sign go the other way?

    And Sebastien's middle name is Wen-Chiang, with a hyphen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I recall, there was a smattering of Kenny from 22-23. :-)

    Hope you and the family are well.

    Cheers,
    Ed/Eddie/Edward

    ReplyDelete