Saturday, December 8, 2018

Chaotic Learning

The other day we were popcorn reading Feynman's conservation of energy metaphor involving blocks that don't exist, a mother more concerned with finding those blocks than with good parenting, and a boy locked in a room with dirty bathtub water.  Hey - it's a serious thing, conservation of energy!

We were interrupting ourselves by making fun of people not reading right or my getting confused about who was actually reading as they popcorned around.  At one point I called a student "perverse' but another heard me say "pervert."  Some kids started yanking my chain by recording my voice when it was my turn to read saying that I should be a professional reader of books-on-tape.  Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the Hive Mind taking a group selfie while someone else was reading about why conservation laws even exist.  Needless to say it was a pretty boisterous Friday physics class.  Crazy times but I think Feynman's point about the power and the abstractness of energy conservation did get across.

Later that day, the teacher who had been trying to have a normal class next door said to me "Gee, Mr. Rideout - are you having a party or teaching in there?"

I said "Both."

No comments:

Post a Comment