Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Oak Trees of the Mind

In the center of our backyard, there is a beautiful oak tree:



It must be over 75 feet tall and close to 200 years old.  It was here before the house, before the aqueduct, and long before me.  Although I know it is there and I love to look at it, it is always looming near the house whether I am consciously aware of it or not.  A strong, silent sentinel informing what the very concept of our home is.  This tree doesn't even know I'm here, looking up at it, admiring it.  This tree doesn't know its effect on me or on our home.

In my subconscious there are archetypes, primal feelings, memories, gestalts, mental schemas of all kinds.  I don't always focus on them nor am I even aware of all of them,  but they are always looming over my life - informing my very concept of who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment