Thursday, March 7, 2024

Beyonce, Gravity, and Wandering off the Trail

Yesterday, in class, after returning the previous quiz, and after gently (?) chiding the class for the frequent sin of omitting to multiply mass by the gravitational strength 'g' in order to get an actual force when calculating torque on a seesaw (many student just multiplied the mass in kg times the lever arm and called it a torque, ahh the follies of youth...), my mind did one of those Rideout non-sequiturs.  

Well, my non-sequiturs are really just stream of consciousness associations that make perfect sense in my own head... just... you know... not to other people.  So, for me it went like this: 'you should've put a g in there' to 'Sounds a little like Beyonce's 'you should've put a ring on it'.  Feeling like there was something there in the moment, I spent about 1.5 seconds on trying to make it work.  Feeling old and defeated but nonethwless slightly inspired, I shared my idea with the class "You know, I feel like there's something here; "If you wanted to weigh it, you shoudda put a 'g' on it... a la Beyonce, you know?"  The class looked at me slightly askew and politely waiting for me to shrug my shoulders and move on to the next problem.

Later in the block, which they were transition to a lab, I got an email from CM (with a consult from SM (she insisted she played a critical role)) containing the following:

if you weigh it then you gotta put a g on it

If you weighed it then you shoulda put a g on it

Don't be mad once you see he took points off it

If you weighed it then you shoulda put a g on it


So good, amirite?  I knew there was something there.  Reminder to self:  Someone is always listening, no matter how far off the trail you wander (actually, maybe students listen extra close when you go off the trail?).


Ai art, prompt: "Beyonce weighing things and doing physics"


No comments:

Post a Comment