Saturday, May 25, 2024

From Blixa to Warren

From Her to Eternity is kind of a sacred song to me.  I associate it with a young Nick Cave - when he was a lot more rough around the edges - when Blixa was still a Bad Seed.  It was my introduction to Nick in the all-time-great Wenders film "Wings of Desire".

So, I finally got around to watching the entire Distant Sky concert footage and I was stunned when, 32 minutes into the concert, he breaks out The Line: "I want to tell you about a girl..." and into it he went... I was floored how energetic and intense his performance was after all these years.  But how were they going to replace/reproduce that iconic Blixa guitar howl/pluck/grind sound?  Why, with Warren Ellis abusing his amped up violin of course...  amazing.


From 1987 to 2017

From Berlin to Copenhagen

From Blixa to Warren

From Guitar to Violin



Blixa on the left (1987), Warren on the right (2017)

Nick is 30 on the left and 60 on the right.


Walk and Cry, Nick.  Walk and Cry.


1 comment:

  1. I saw NCatBS in 2014. (In my mind it was, just before the pandemic, but that's a thought for a different comment.) From Her to Eternity was a highlight of that show, too. But what really surprised me was how songs were pulled from all over their entire catalog. Also, seeing that show really drove home for me the huge influence Warren Ellis had assumed in Mick Harvey's absence. Still great - just really, really different. Here's the setlist, fwiw https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds/2014/acl-live-at-the-moody-theater-austin-tx-bc119b2.html

    ReplyDelete