Sunday, May 26, 2019

Chess, Clumsiness, and Institutional Memory

Every four years or so, I'll dust off the trusty old chess rap (the institutional memory of a high school is only four years after all!).  Graduating Senior EM told me that she remembers my performance at the talent show her freshmen year. For that reason, I had the honor of playing her in the inaugural game of the set she designed and made in art class this year.  Here we are playing during lunch on the last day for seniors:



Before we played, I was admiring the pieces and I pointed out that the protruding swords of the knights seemed like they might be fragile.  Five moves into the first game, I knock over one of my knights and break its sword (she specifically recommended NOT to knock over any pieces during play). Nice job, Chessmaster! (she superglued it back on later and was very gracious about it)



Since the school's institutional memory is about to be reset, time for me to get my game on for next year!

Thanks for the game, EM!

No comments:

Post a Comment