Saturday, February 15, 2020

Magic Mountains and Existential Dilemmas

Many years ago, I heard a recording of Joseph Campbell talking about Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain.  It was so moving and profound that I then read the book (a mighty effort through which I would not have persevered had I not had Dr. Campbell helping me along).  There are many elements of this complex work that were enlightening to me, but the one that sticks with me is the eventual descent from the Mountain and the return to messy, normal, chaotic life.

Several students of mine who are graduating are going through their own existential dilemmas.  A normal happening at the crossroads of introspective folk's lives.  I've been trying to articulate to them that while I do agree that, as Socrates tells us, "The unexamined life is not worth living", it is also true that we must find true fulfillment in living our embodied lives.  Just as simply living is not enough, neither is simply thinking.  One must endeavor to do both.

Go up the Magic Mountain, my friends - but do come back down and live out your lives too

Image result for thomas mann magic mountain

No comments:

Post a Comment