Tuesday, March 22, 2022

The Ship of Theseus and Wings of Desire

If every electron is the same as every other electron and, in fact, all subatomic particles are universal modules, then why and how am I who I am?

If every carbon atom* is the same as every other carbon atom in the universe, then why and how am I who I am?


If every organelle in my cells is the same as every organelle in your body, then why am I me and not you?


If it is the exact sequence of ATGC’s in my DNA and the exact configuration of the weights of my neuronal connections that make me uniquely me then what a burden it is from second to second for me to desperately replace those indiscriminate carbon atoms in exactly the right places!


Maybe, I just have a story I tell myself that I am still me as I swap out carbon after carbon atom and keep reconstructing myself according to an ever-changing blueprint?


I am who I am because I think I am who I am.  In effect, I will myself into being every single moment of the day.  


Sounds so tiring and yet invigorating at the same time.  


My parts are your parts but the sum of my parts is different from the sum of yours.


—------------


I was thinking this blog entry was inspired simply by old Ship of Theseus idea but as I reread it just now, I realized it really inspired by the poetry-laden Wenders film “Wings of Desire”. 





----
*(aside from some inconsequential isotopic variations)

No comments:

Post a Comment