Saturday, October 3, 2009

Bemelmans can't count!


I grew up with Madeline and her two straight lines in her house covered in vines, but I never discovered an error until reading the book to my daughter.

After visiting Madeline in her recovery room (a bed with a crank!), the eleven remaining girls go back to their old house to break their bread, brush their teeth and go to bed.  In that three picture sequence (bread-brush-bed), the number of girls goes from 12 to 11 to 11.  Careful inspection reveals Madeline sitting at Miss Clavel's left at the dinner table but absent subsequently.  Perhaps Madeline went home with the other girls but upon eating dinner, suffered a relapse and was rushed back the hospital before the brushing of the teeth?

Also, is it just me or does Madeline's curly red hair look suspiciously blond and straight in several pictures?

'Tis a child's story, I know.  Maybe the Hollywood movie filled in the gaps?  I doubt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment