Saturday, October 31, 2009

GPS and Louis Malle

Last summer, while we were travelling, I used a GPS device extensively for the first time.  Normally, I have a fairly decent sense of direction; take a look at a map and then keep track of where I am and I don't even sweat when I have to take a detour.
But, with GPS, I didn't prep, I didn't track, and I was completely lost all the time.  Of course, it didn't matter - because we had GPS! 

The double edge sword of technology - it makes our lives easier but it insulates us from reality.  Since I was uninvolved with the navigation, my brain just didn't engage and I was lost until the GPS device came to life.  I remember gently mocking friends about a year ago (before I used GPS) when I saw them pulled over in the parking lot after meeting them for a meal.  "Just waiting to find a few satellites" they said.  "Weirdos!" I thought.

All this reminds me of one of my favorite moments in Louis Malle's "MyDinner with Andre":  when they are talking about electric blankets.  On one side they are such a boon - they keep you warm no matter what the outside temperature is.  On the other hand, the potential empathy that might have been brought about by the cold is gone.  Is the person next to you cold?  Are there people who are cold and can't find shelter in the world? 


GPS: my enabler and my disabler.

2 comments:

  1. yeah, map-reading skills is probably going the way of literacy and numeracy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is so true. so true.

    ReplyDelete