Sunday, May 24, 2020

A Fulfilling Life

Somedays you just wake up happy.  It's a glorious feeling.

Usually I just accept it and move on.  This morning, though, I reflected on it (on account of the pandemic blues?  on account of my 50 year-old introspective blues?  who knows?).  What I realized is that, in the past few days, I've had several unsolicited comments from people that made it clear I have had a positive impact on their life.

This idea that 'service to others' is the way to a fulfilling life is nothing new of course, but I ran across it most recently listening to a podcast that was otherwise unremarkable:

"You’re not only your brother’s keeper, you’re your brother’s lifter. And now, every time they are around you and every time they see you and experience you, it’s better for them. And I think that the moment that you live for others, value others and intentionally add value to them, I think you’re living a fulfilled life."
-John Maxwell


Reminds me of a previous post about compassion and the Dalai Lama.  I can't say I've been purposefully pursuing 'being of service', but maybe being on this rock for 50 years, teaching for almost 20, and having a family for over 14 has had some impact on this self-absorbed narcissist!

To make it all about me, it has to be all about them! (Love this kind of incompatible dualism)

No comments:

Post a Comment